Weekly News (January 30, 2012)
Editor’s Note: And it was supposed to be a slow week in the cigar world. What seemed destined to be a rather quiet week turned into the busiest of the year. Familiar readers of the weekly news will see that it is back to somewhat of a familiar form.
- Cabaiguan WCD 120 REDUX — The famed Cabaiguan W. Curis Draper exclusive is coming back. More details here.
- Tatuaje Tobacco Plaza DD to Ship in March — Full story (including pricing) is here.
- Grimalkin to be Renamed La Musa by Emilio Cigars — Gary Griffith also announced three new lines and provides a bit more explanation in the comments here. Expect these some time in spring.
- Padrón Announces 6 x 60 No. 4 for 1964 Series — Details are here. There was also a limited edition run of 15 boxes made for Leaf, a B&M operated by Famous Smoke Shop that was released on Tuesday, these are allegedly different than the SI-15s.
- Guillermo León by La Aurora Ambassador — These were handed out at the Miami Cigar & Co. sales meeting a few weeks ago. It’s unclear as to in what manner we will see these. More details as they come. Picture via Brian Hewitt of Stogie Review.
- Room 101 OSOK to Ship February 15 — You can read Brooks’ review of the Filero here.
- Emilio AF Suave Ships in April — Five sizes being made by A.J. Fernandez.
- Los Regalos de Mayos — Another project from Gary Griffith’s Emilio Cigars. No other details at this time.
- Viaje Honey & Hand Grenades Takes Shape — No word on when this is shipping, probably not in January, but Good Fellas Cigars has pictures.
- Quesada Oktoberfest to Return in 2012 — The story is here.
- RoMa Craft Tobac Announced — Galveston Bay Imports (CroMagnon & Hava Cigar Shop) and Costa Rican Imports (Adrian’s) have merged. Press release here.
- Herrera Cigars Announced — Frank Herrera has rebranded La Caridad del Cobre’s parent and says that he has a new line coming. Details here.
- Podman Cigars by Drew Estate? — These are prototypes of what’s being described as a new project between Tim Podwika of podmancigars.com and Drew Estate.
- Dona Flor Returns With New Owners — That would be the story from TomsCigars. No more details at this time.
- Perdomo Price Increase — Perdomo joins a host of other manufacturers raising prices, story is here.
- Habanos S.A. Revenues Drop 10.3% in 2011 — Story is here.
- José Seijas Leaves Altadis — I don’t believe that “retire” is the right word here. No word on non-compete. Press release is here.
- S.1461 Gains New Co-Sponsor — Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) has added himself as a cosponsor to the Senate’s version of the bill to exempt premium cigars from FDA legislation.
- General Cigar Co. Opposes Diablito Universal Trademark — Details via Frank Herrera.
- Currently, halfwheel has four different contests going on, details are here.
Finally, Bruce Gaudet, the Premium Sales Manager for General Cigar covering Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada, passed away last Thursday at the age of 56. Patrick Lagreid, who lives in Phoenix described his friendship with Bruce:
Bruce was one of my earliest friends in the cigar business following my move to Phoenix. His vibrant personality and love for the business was infectious, and he helped me in countless ways become more knowledgable about the industry. Hearing him speak glowingly about my work was always flattering and humbling, and I am devastated by his untimely departure from my life and the lives of so many people.