Weekly News (February 20, 2012)
This is the week of ProCigar 2012, and as such, much of the news will likely be about the Dominican Republic. Quesada will formally open their new factory (and perhaps give it a new name) and announce the next size of Q d’etat. It sounds like things will be quiet at La Aurora camp, but who knows. Speaking of La Aurora, the 107 Maduro is at this point delayed indefinitely with the hope now moved to IPCPR 2012. Altadis has shipped the Vega Fina Sumum 2010
to retailers. There’s news about both Davidoff and General products, although the latter’s isn’t made in the DR. As for Tabaquisa S.A., the company of the late Juan Clemente, and Corporación Cigar Export, better known as Augusto Reyes — I’ve got nothing. — el niño diablo.
- Christian Eiroa Nears Return to Cigar Industry — Story is here.
- Viaje WLP Winter Classic & Super Shot 10 Gauge Release Announced — Super Shot 12 Gauge has been pushed back to next month. To my knowledge, no retailers have reported these arriving in stock. Details (with pictures) here.
- Four Kicks Selección No. 5 Announced — David Savona’s blog has the details on the 6 1/2 x 44 Four Kicks extension expected in April.
- AVO’s 86th Anniversary — Cigar Coop translated some information on the next annual AVO release.
- Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Gets Release Date — Pete Johnson will be at site sponsor Casa De Montecristo on March 21, 2012 for the release of the Tatuaje Cojonu 2012. There will be a special book release, which you can order here, limited to 200 units. We’ve reviewed the Cojonu 2012 Capa Especial here.
- Litto Gomez Diez Vintage 2011 Ships With Two New Sizes — Details about the new Paisano and Galego here.
- Chaveta Announces Limited Edition Habano Toro, Changes to Core Line — Details here.
- RoMa Craft Tobac Announces Intemperance Sizes — Details here.
- Crowned Heads Project HG Announced — The first size is expected for IPCPR 2012. Details here.
- Toraño to Release Vault Corona Gorda Boxes in April — Details here with information about their new online store.
- Rocky Patel Burn to be Released Saturday — Rocky, Nish and Nimish will be at Cigar Cave in Palm Harbor, FL to launch the Rocky Patel Burn, which will be exclusive to the near 35 Rocky Patel lounges around the country.
- Punch Rare Corojo 2012 Announced — The annual March release of the Punch Rare Corojo is back and the 2011 is said to include the Robusto that debuted last year. Via Gregory Mottola.
- 7-20-4 Releases 1874 — It appears the Plasencia made release is finally hitting stores. Press release here.
- H.R. 1639 Reaches 150 Co-Sponsors — The House version of the bill to exempt premium cigars from FDA control has reached 150 cosponsors. You can find more info here.
- Indiana’s Smoking Ban Expected to Pass Senate This Week — Story here.
- Toraño Sponsors Neat Stuff Casino Night — Press release here.