Weekly News (August 22, 2011)
And so it begins… It seems like we have gotten over IPCPR and while the news cycle might seem “quiet” compared to what was the last few months, the reality there is a lot going on. Test blends are flowing and a lot of moves are being made in preparation for 2012. Looking forward, September and October are likely busy months with a lot of highly-touted releases, but for now, the news. — el niño diablo.
- Arturo Fuente Solaris — The final edition of Smoke Inn’s 15th Anniversary release… the Arturo Fuente Solaris. These were rolled six or so years ago with a Sun Grown wrapper and are expected to be the most limited of any prior release. It’s an 8-5-8 (6 x 47) size with a Belicoso tip. Smoke Inn is putting these in in 10 CT boxes so that they can be released to a larger amount of people.
- Arturo Fuente Don Carlos 76th Anniversary Robusto — Fuente shipped the Don Carlos 76th Anniversary Robusto to retail accounts this past week. The cigar is the same blend as the Don Carlos 75th (i.e. a Don Carlos Senior Blend) just rolled more recently.
- Viaje DES II (2012) — Word from Viaje is that Andre Farkas is currently testing blends for a 2012 release of the Double Edge Sword. No word on exact sizes, but the plan right now currently calls for packaging in humidors, something Farkas has also hinted that he might do for the upcoming Trifecta (Lancero) release.
- The Next Room 101 — The above comes from Matt Booth’s Twitter. Culebra anyone?
- NHC Surrogates — This is the newest house brand for New Havana Cigars. Not much here, but more to come.
- Griffin’s Special Edition XVII — It appears that Davidoff has released the annual limited edition for the Griffin’s brand. It’s a 5 1/2 x 52 Ecuadorian wrapper with a mixture of Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers. A total of 50,000 cigars divided into 5,000 boxes of 10.
- Oliva Master Blends Humidor — Details here.
- Xen by Nish Patel — Rocky Patel announced a change in name for their newest Connecticut from “Zen by Nish Patel” to “Xen by Nish Patel.”
- Pinar Del Río’s New Factory — Not really a whole lot of info here, but the picture above is of the new factory.
- Habanos S.A. Files For New Retail Trademarks — Frank Herrera notes that the Cuban distribution company has filed for two new retail trademarks.
- Dan Blumenthal Passes Away at 94 — The former chairman of Villazon and partner of the late Frank Llaneza passed away this past Thursday at 94.
As per Cigar-ette City/Emilio Cigars’ Gary Griffith:
Fifth Annual Delaware Cigar Festival September 17th Noon to 6pm
Tickets will be available at many of our retail locations, which will be announced the day they are available, and may also be purchased by phone at 302-836-4889 beginning June 1. Phone order tickets will be reserved for you at the gate.
Admission is $125 per person and includes a terrific assortment of top notch cigars on your arrival at the gate, a great buffet meal, drinks, and the opportunity to load up on cigars at unbelievable prices when you make a small per cigar donation to our chosen charity. You’ll also enjoy the scenery as our hostesses keep the afternoon upbeat and cheery.
There will be door prizes and raffle items in abundance.
Delaware Park is a wonderful venue where you can watch the horse races, play the slots, and challenge yourself at the table games.
The event is held in 2 outdoor pavilions in the picnic grove, one for our vendors and celebrities, and a non-smoking pavilion where food is served. There are plenty of picnic tables and restrooms are immediately adjacent to the vendor pavilion.
Parking is free and easy and located comfortably close to the event area.
2011 Cigar Manufacturers and others attending:
Inked Magazine Rocky Patel Arturo Fuente Emilio Cigars with brand creator Gary Griffith Drew Estate Altadis, USA Oliva E.P. Carillo Kristoff Perdomo My Father La Sirena with Brand Ambassador Arielle Ditkowich La Flor Dominicana Cigar Rights of America Xikar Camacho EO Brands, 601 with Eddie Ortega Miami Cigar General Cigar The Cigar Agency